Whether you are journaling for your own mindfulness practice, before your talk therapy session, or before/after a psychedelic exploration, it is always a powerful tool for self discovery. The practice of writing can help you explore your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a safe and structured way, and combining manifestation practices can help you bring your desires to life. Some call this the “law of attraction.” In therapy, journal prompts and thought exercises can complement the therapeutic process by providing a roadmap for where you are and where you want to go. Whether you are looking to improve your relationships, overcome limiting beliefs, or achieve your dreams, these exercises can sincerely help you on your journey. Below, we offer you a jumping off point to begin your writing process. Use these personally or take the answers to your therapist to get the conversation going.
“The me I want to be is __________, __________, and __________.”
"I want to focus on being __________, __________, and __________ in my relationships."
"I want to let go of __________ in my life."
“The habits that are holding me back are __________.”
"An area of my life where I need more support from others is __________."
"The values I want to embody are __________, __________, and __________."
• Relaxation visualization: Imagine a place where you feel totally calm and at peace - where you can relax and let go of any fear, worry, or anxiety. Nothing can harm you here.
• Future visualization: Imagine yourself in the future, after you have achieved your goals, and think about what that feels like. Really allow yourself to feel this joyful and triumphant feeling - in your mind and in your body.
• Confidence visualization: Imagine yourself in a situation that makes you feel nervous or uncertain, but visualize yourself handling it with confidence and ease. Focus on how it feels for anxiety and tension to leave your body after you move through your discomfort. It feels liberating, doesn’t it?
• Strength visualization: Imagine yourself as strong and resilient, facing any challenges with courage and determination. You are brave and handle confrontation naturally. You are empowered and this persona comes easy to you.
• Support visualization: Visualize a support system of loved ones, friends, or community members who are there for you and help you through difficult times. You have a village of support and they offer you compassion, non-judgment, and an energy that feels like home.
• Self-care visualization: Imagine yourself taking care of your physical, emotional, and spiritual needs, and feeling healthy and happy within your mind/body/spirit. For example, focus on the feeling you have after taking a warm herbal bath, maybe with a cup of tea and your favorite book. It feels gratifying and mindful. You wrap yourself in a comfortable robe and eat delicious, fresh fruits that nourish your body. You thank yourself for treating yourself the way you deserve. Hold on to this feeling.
• Solution visualization: Imagine yourself finding creative and effective solutions to problems that you are facing. Trust your brain to analyze your options and work alongside your intuition to come up with the correct solution. Trust your gut and your expertise to know what is best.
• Gratitude visualization: Visualize yourself surrounded by things that you are grateful for, such as family, friends, and personal achievements. You can flash these things before your eyes in the style of “counting sheep,” where each aspect you are grateful for crosses your consciousness. Acknowledge these things with love in your heart. Know that they reciprocate your love.
"I feel __________ when I think about __________."
"A recent situation that triggered me was __________."
"I am grateful for __________ in my life."
"I struggle with the belief that __________."
"A fear I have that holds me back is __________."
"I am proud of __________ about myself."
“Some of the most significant parts of my childhood are __________, __________, __________.”
“The types of people I am typically drawn to are __________, __________, __________.”
“The way I cope with my emotions is __________.”
Life’s a trip. We help you navigate it.
Field Trip Online Therapy can help you get from where you are to where you want to be. Click here to get started.
Field Trip also has psychedelic therapy clinics in select locations throughout North America. If you are ready to begin your journey toward healing and build your personalized treatment plan, give us a call to learn more:
- 1-888-519-6016 (USA)
- 1-833-222-0084 (Canada)
Or schedule an appointment online, and our team will reach out to you.